Saturday, May 1, 2010

My Biggest Pet Peeve

Ok, so my kids do a lot that annoys me, but they are also really sweet kids.  One of the things that really bothers me though is that when I ask them to do something, the answer is ALWAYS "Ok, hang on!"  I absolutely hate that!  I mean in all seriousness, if I wanted them to do it later, I would ask them later, what's so hard to understand about that?

Then there's the expectations. I do a lot for my kids, and I have tried to give them everything I didn't get when I was a kid.  We gave Travis one of our cars for his 16th birthday.  (No, it wasn't a new car, but don't feel too bad for him, it's a 1986 Toyota Supra that he LOVES and thinks is super sexy!)  But if it needs something (like last week it needed brakes) he expects to use my car...doesn't even ask!

And my youngest expects to be taken to Benicia (the town we lived in before we moved here) every weekend.  It's a $4.00 bridge toll and 40 miles each way, times 2 trips (dropping him off and picking him up.)  Or, if one of his friends from Benicia comes out here, he expects me to either pick them up or give them a ride home.  His friends' parents never offer to do that for me!

But my biggest pet peeve with them is how they dress.  I am a pretty easy going mom when it comes to their "styles."  If they want long hair, fine, short hair, fine, I've even let my youngest die his hair blue!  And I remember when I was a kid, the worst thing a parent had to deal with was guys having long hair.  I remember when punk came out and I told my friend "OMG, I hope we won't have to deal with anything like that!"  So now punk has evolved, and all the kids are into piercings, and I am so-so okay with that.

But the PANTS.  The saggy pants.  Even with belts on.  It drives my TOTALLY crazy.  I absolutely hate it.  Now my kids aren't as bad as some of the teenagers around here.  I see some where the crotch is at their knees, the pants are 5 sizes too big, and the kids have to hold them up with their hands as they walk around.  That's pathetic.  What's the point of wearing pants?

My kids look more like this...in fact, this picture could EASILY be of my boys and one of their friends:


I am constantly hounding them to PULL UP YOUR PANTS, and my kids sigh and act like I'm the big green meanie.  But it seems I'm not alone.

This image is from someone on Facebook called PULL UP YOUR PANTS YOU LOOK LIKE A F***ING IDIOT!!
and there are 795,631 peeps that "like" the posts (and counting.)  So all is well in mom world, apparently I am not alone in my perspective of these stupid pants these kids wear.

25 comments:

casey aubut said...

I am with ya! Thankfully, my son is only 3 and hopefully this horrid trend will be over by the time he is dressing himself! But my little brother (21) lives with us and he wears his pants like this- and I will walk by and yank them up all the time!! :) I even bought him a very expensive belt for Xmas last year- he loves it and wears it daily, but you can still see his boxers...sigh......

Debbie(single;complicated) said...

ha ha..my kids are not at the baggy pants stage but boy are they are the 'ok hang' place...drives me nuts!!!

Debbie's L'Bri said...

Personally I would not let me kids dress like that. I 'd say you can dress any way you like after you move out. I would not allow my kids to drive my car without permisssion either. Kids think we own them everything these days.

http://debbiellbriskincare.blogspot.com/
MBC

~Sophisticate Style ~ said...

I had to crack up when I seen the Pull up your Pants picture. Years ago, I worked with a guy who was going through this same thing with his own teen-aged son. So one day he said "I'll fix him", and he took a Sharpie Permanent Pen and wrote his son's last name on the back side of all of his underwear. His son was so horrified that he had no choice but to wear his pants to cover his chonies again.
****Score one for the Parent !

Tina said...

LOL, I'm one of those 795,631 people that 'like' that group on Facebook! I remember when I was a kid the boys wore TIGHT jeans....oh, those where the days!

Shannon said...

My boys tried to wear their pants like that but my hubby and I put an end to that real quick. That look just drives me craaaaazy! I am following you now on this blog as well as Diary of a fat chick!

family of 4 on the move! said...

Head on over to my blog please I have an award for you!

Marvelous Mommy said...

Haha I love the 'pull up your pants' picture!

Happy Friday Follow! I'm your newest follower! Find me here - www.marvelousmommy.com

Denise said...

Stopping by from Friday Follow to say Hi!

Please stop by and see my review on Molly's Money Making Digest:
http://bit.ly/adcjFP

And enter my giveaway for Peter Rabbit Children's Products:
http://bit.ly/a9kCNz

Heather said...

I have a solution to this pants epidemic. If all of us 35 and over would dress like that for a week. It would no longer be cool. It would be dorky. What do you think? How many people could we get on board??

Alecia @ Savings and Stewardship said...

Happy Friday Follow ... on Saturday! I'm your newest following friend. I'd love for you to drop by my blog sometime & return the favor. I'd love for you to enter my giveaways too - Ladybug/ Bumblebee Hair Clips & Tutu (ends TONIGHT 5/15 @ Midnight) and giggle Guide to Baby Gear book (ends TOMORROW 5/16 @ Midnight) - low entries. Quick links for each can be found in the top right sidebar of my blog. Hope you're looking forward to a great weekend!

http://savingsandstewardship.net

Britney said...

Hello,

I am following you from MBC, "Under a 100 Followers" group. I am hoping when you get a chance you can follow me back at http://www.britneysbeautyblog.com and http://www.britneysbeautymark.com.

Thanks, Tracey

Rachel said...

I'm your newest follower from Friday Follow, come follow me too!

frugalformyfriends.blogspot.com

Remodelaholic said...

Just stopping in and looking around from Follow Friday! And just became your newest follower! Yea! Hope you stop by and return the favor!

My blog www.remodelaholic.com is all about interior design and remodeling there are some great tutorials so you can get the look you want on a budget! We also have a party every Friday to show off your stuff! And Sunday for Recipes links.

Loco YaYa said...

i totally hate that too! especially because i have two daughters, 12 and 5, and i really do not fancy them seeing guys undies. not to mention my 5 year old will totally call them out. i have asked many times for them to pull up their pants because technically they are showing their 'assets' to little girls, and their friends probably would not think they were too cool for that! lol. they pull those pants up quick!!

found you via an old follow friday list.

Le Chateau des fleurs said...

HAHAHA teenagers! Yeah teens are so spoiled in our days with cars :)
Following your blog, come follow mine and say hi! Happy new friend follow!
Gros bisous
Frenchy

Le Chateau des fleurs said...

Hmmm did you get my comment?
Anyway cute blog :)
Following your blog, come follow mine and say hi!
Gros bisous
Frenchy

Momsy Katsy said...

New follower from Follow Me Fridays!

Wishing you and your family a great weekend.

~~ Kat ~~
My Tots Exactly!
My Tummy Calls
My Game of Chance

momondealz said...

Hi! I am your newest follower from Follow Me Fridays. I have the same "pull up your pants" issue with my 14 year old step son and the 3rd graders I tutor! I hope you get a chance to come by and follow me back at

http://www.momondealz.com/2010/05/freebie-friday-528.html

Joni said...

I have that same pet peeve about my children saying Hang On! It drives me in-sane! Or what about when you say "well?" and they say "Oh, you wanted me to do it right now?" Grrr!

I love my kids but they drive mama crazy sometimes. :)

I am a new follower. Hope to see you over at my place sometime. Come by to say hi.

http://sixcherriesontop.com

mommyof4 said...

Happy Friday. I am a new follower and glad I found your blog. I hate the baggy butt look too! Have a great weekend!

The Halton Mom said...

Hey, great blog you got here. I'm stopping in from the Friday Follow.
http://haltonmom.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/thehaltonmom
Have a great weekend!

♥GossipMama♥ said...

New follower here from new friend friday, follow friday and friday follow me.

Mr Monkey said...

I'm a new follower of friendly Friday follow, please follow me back.
Thanks, Mr. Monkey

http://laughingmonkeystick.blogspot.com/

HRH Mommy said...

Oh, I soooo agree!!

I gave you 2 awards. Check it out at:

http://kristensjunkdrawer.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-received-award.html

Items I Can't Live Without

Smart Balance Omega Non-Stick Cooking Spray:
Every kitchen should have one!
ZERO fat, ZERO calories, NO trans fats, NO cholesterol, NO sodium and a ratio of 5:1 Omega 6 to Omega 3. This product has the right balance of fats to help improve cholesterol!



Pick-a-Size Paper Towels:

Trust me, a GREAT way to save money and be green.
Here is a great deal for Brawny Pick a Size Paper Towels...
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=217118&catid=135134&aid=335944&aparam=brawny_paper_towels_pic&CAID=96d7ae60-074c-4585-8281-418f9c2aba24


Sensodyne Iso-Active Multi Action Foaming Gel:
VERY expensive, but Oh, so worth it!

Leave me a note:

Health Tip of the Day

Be active. The safest and most effective way to lose weight is to reduce calories and increase physical activity.

Beauty Tip of the Day

Watch your posture. How you carry yourself affects how people perceive you more than you think! Perk up that chin, throw those shoulders back, and glide through the air as if you just signed a ten million dollar contract.

Spotlight Video of the Week

javascript:void(0)

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP