Sunday, April 4, 2010

Must be a Mom Thing

My two boys are 2 1/2 years apart and they fight CONSTANTLY.  They have ever since my youngest started crawling.  I have been told over and over by experienced parents that this is normal, and that they will become very close when they are adults.  Still, it drives me insane.  They are extremely competitive over everything, they bicker constantly and they always have to "one-up" each other.  In fact, they find STUPID things to argue about, just for the sake of arguing as far as I can tell.

Don't get me wrong, they love each other very much.  That side of them comes to a forefront when one or the other has been wronged.  My oldest shows it the most (even though he is usually the instigator of the bickering.  He rarely has anything nice to say to his brother and is always putting him down.)  But a powerful instance of him showing how much he cares about his brother came in Middle school, when a kid threw boiling water (via a Cup-of-Noodles) on my youngest.  It burned him so severely the school called me and I had to take him to the emergency room (and yes, he has scars to show for it.)

But the instance I was mentioning was that when my oldest got to the office after I had arrived, it took nearly the entire staff to calm him down when he was told what happened to his brother.  Some of them were even holding him back, and they kept saying "Travis, SWEAR to us you won't do anything about this."  But Travis would not respond; just stood there with fierce anger in his eyes.  After about 10 minutes of the staff and I pleading with him, he finally agreed.

But it makes me wonder...why can't they be that supportive of each other at home?  And they get along much better when it's just their dad at home.  But when I come in the door, all hell breaks loose.

So I've come to the conclusion that it must be a mom thing...

4 comments:

Shell said...

My boys fight. Oh, how they fight. I have three, within 3.5 years of each other.

I keep hoping it's a phase and they'll get better, but there's probably no hope for that until they are adults.

My Mercurial Nature said...

I sincerely believe that all hell breaks loose when Mom is around because children are, for the most part, more comfortable sharing their emotions/feelings with/around Mom. They know Mom will be there to help them. :-)

Halley said...

Hi Jacki- Thanks for stopping by my blog and sorry to hear you lost all your hard work!!! I am following you back and I appreciate you adding my button to your blogroll...I will be returning the gesture!!! :-)

Have a good one and I look forward to reading your blog. Halley at Mission Driven Mom

Debbie's L'Bri said...

I have 3 boys in a row. They found like dogs but would be best friends in public. They would say I will never play with you again and then with in the hour they were buddies. As far a being better with dad, I truly think that dad's put up with lots more then moms.

http://debbiellbriskincare.blogspot.com/
MBC

Items I Can't Live Without

Smart Balance Omega Non-Stick Cooking Spray:
Every kitchen should have one!
ZERO fat, ZERO calories, NO trans fats, NO cholesterol, NO sodium and a ratio of 5:1 Omega 6 to Omega 3. This product has the right balance of fats to help improve cholesterol!



Pick-a-Size Paper Towels:

Trust me, a GREAT way to save money and be green.
Here is a great deal for Brawny Pick a Size Paper Towels...
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=217118&catid=135134&aid=335944&aparam=brawny_paper_towels_pic&CAID=96d7ae60-074c-4585-8281-418f9c2aba24


Sensodyne Iso-Active Multi Action Foaming Gel:
VERY expensive, but Oh, so worth it!

Leave me a note:

Health Tip of the Day

Be active. The safest and most effective way to lose weight is to reduce calories and increase physical activity.

Beauty Tip of the Day

Watch your posture. How you carry yourself affects how people perceive you more than you think! Perk up that chin, throw those shoulders back, and glide through the air as if you just signed a ten million dollar contract.

Spotlight Video of the Week

javascript:void(0)

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP